Friday, April 30, 2021

"Time Spiral Block and Our Children"

 "Time Spiral Block and Our Children"

by:

Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD


And right off the bat , this is not about Sacrificing our Children to gain life. Nor is it about any sort of sacrifice. Well maybe not but it surely does not involve Sacrificing Children. Whoooo. Not let me continue. 

It was exactly 15 years ago when the first of the Time Spiral Block was released. It was October to be exact and only a few short months before my one and only Daughter Alessandria Venice R. De leon was born. 

The reason I am writing this now is that this was a period that I lost interest in Magic , it waned down quite a bit. I was a mad brewer , I would make 3 or 4 decks at a time around one concept like let us say Goblins , I would try and exhaust all the things I could do with it , Goblin Air Force (Goblins with flying) , Goblin Stat Pumps ( Goblins that gave attack bonuses like +3/0 or what not) , Goblin Flamers (Pinging Goblins with Mog Fanatic and Goblin Sharpshooter) or Black Red Discard Goblins which well did not work out well.

All I was saying is that I loved creating new decks and I enjoyed playing with them but all that changed when Aven came along and that was also the time when Time Spiral block came out. I was fascinated with everything that my daughter did. She would coo and I would feed her and give her a bath and all the seemed mundane but for me who was experiencing for the first time all else became pale in comparison. Not even the game I loved stood a chance. And I believe this is the real reason why I feel so disconnected with this block.

Probably the same reason my friends Mark and Nolan will feel a little disconnected with the new Time Spiral Remastered Block because their respective babies will take all their time. While Nolan still makes youtube videos , Mark it seems has lot of interest in the game as of late and I did tell them that I can surely relate to them.

I am happy that my friends have children , people that we can pass our knowledge to in the future. My own daughter who has grown into her own personality and interests seems ripe for a Magic internship under my care. Let us see what this Summer will hold for our games together. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment