Friday, August 28, 2020

"Whispers of Bolas #1: It Begins"

 "Whispers of Bolas #1: It Begins"

by:

Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

I have had a Nicol Bolas Planeswalker tribal deck for some time now. This is my deck of choice when we used to play when my friends and I play Archenemy in HP Centris(Now DXC Centris). It was basically a hit or miss deck. When the gears turned in the Dragon gods favor everyone falls. But to be honest there was a part of me that watered down the deck , made it less efficient , the lands were not the best , the rocks or even the spells that I used. There was a part of me that enjoyed as my friends groaned in agony as another Bolas or planeswalker landed on the battlefield to increase my advantage.

At the back of my head I did not put all of my good pieces in the deck because I had pride. I always believed that the ultimate pleasure was beating a deck worth thousands of pesos with a deck that had the basic lands worth more than it's entire content. Until it dawned on me that this was actually beginning to shape up like the thousand peso deck that I wanted to beat. 


During this whole mess where people could not play face to face one of my stress relievers was sorting cards and restoring all of my broken EDH decks(Decks where I got pieces or lands from) or Completing decks that have been on the back burner for so long. I was able to complete all these. Ended up with 110 EDH decks but my heart was still restless. There was a whisper there that would not go away.

After griping to my wife that I have ran out of Plastic ng Yelo Sleeves and have now been recycling old ones to sleeve my growing EDH collection she asked if I had a favorite deck that I wanted a special sleeve for. And I said my favorite deck was Nicol Bolas. So she bought me a fancy , bling sleeve that made all the cards in the deck dazzle.

All this time Bolas was just in clear plastic with pieces like Liliana of the Veil in it but with the Bling Sleeves I saw it in a different light. This was a place to put all of my marbles in now. This would be the home of the efficient land fetches , shocklands , filter lands , multicolored lands.
This would be a place for the Moxes and the Crypts. For the Pacts and Forces. For the Tutors(5). For the planeswalkers both New and Old. This would be the deck worthy of Bolas.

And I listened to those whispers. And I hope that I could share my creation soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment