Tuesday, July 7, 2020

"Mozart: Lacrimosa"

"Mozart: Lacrimosa"
by:
Alessandria Venice R. De leon


I remember when it was all simple
We would play a game and laugh at death
As though it were nothing but a timeout
The present is a different reality
The thought of life ever after
Is soured by awful truths
And a question of reluctance to death
Is not so easily answered
We smile through tears
And pretend we’re fine, as we always do
We pretend we’re happy
While we think of lands we’ll never travel
Or dreams we’ll never fulfill
Now death seems inevitable
Like a looming figure in the dark
Or like a gray cloud that never leaves


I’ll miss you sorely, dear friend
If a virus made by human nature takes you away
From this place, from my arms
If the sickness becomes unbearable
And it causes you misery or pain
I do not want you to suffer
Bid me goodbye with a smile
For we’ve lived our lives as much as we could
Bid me goodbye without sadness
For there’s always life after the next
Try the hardest you can
As you pass me by
Like a ship sunken in the night.



AUTHOR’S NOTE: Hi. It’s me again. This poem holds more of a somber tone and there’s a reason behind that. I’ve recently gotten news that one of my closest friend’s house helpers tested positive for COVID-19 which puts her and her whole family at risk. I love her dearly, and I am terrified of losing her despite her attempts at reassuring me that she is fine. This was supposed to be a poem about hope, but my own thoughts led me to a darker path. Choosing Mozart’s Lacrimosa as the title and piece for this poem only made sense given that Lacrimosa is Latin for “weeping”. Not so fun fact: Lacrimosa is known to be the last piece Mozart wrote before he passed away but he was unable to finish it in time. If ever you decide to give it a listen, keep in mind that anything after the first minute was written by his students. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment