Friday, August 30, 2019

"The Bigger Idiot"


"The Bigger Idiot"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

"Are you still awake?" V asked Hani who was actually sleeping on the hotel bed.

"If I don't answer would you go away?" said the girl a bit gruffly. "Look it's 3am. You'd be meeting her in 4 hours."

"I know. And I can't sleep."

Hani knew that tone in V's voice. Ever since he was young and he was excited like going to a new place or buying a new toy V would have that sleepless night before the actual event. This was more understandable. He was meeting someone that he had watched obsessively on a computer screen over the course of 3 years.

"V. You can close your eyes and rest or you would look ugly the first time that you meet her."

"I know. I think this was a mistake. I mean to go and actually see her like this."

"You won that contest fair and square." 

"It's not about that. What if I meet her and she doesn't turn out to be the person that I thought her to be."

"There is that possibility."

"You are not helping."

"Well you woke me up. You can't expect me to be happy about it."

"I need to talk to my best friend."

Best friend. Hani bristled at the word. V was a helpless mess without her even he knew that but it seems that over these past few years she had developed feelings that he did not share. It was a lost cause. V loved that Idol and nothing she did could distract him. It was pure torture to be here. It was like giving away the most precious thing in the world. Of course it was V who taught her that nothing is really any one's until that person agrees. Hani tried to hit herself in the head for being so stubborn but here she was still being a "good friend". 

"Spill."

"What do I know about YuuA really?"

"Well what do you know?"

"Well , she is an adorable , world famous idol , known for her on point dancing , angelic voice and top notch visuals."

"Those are the things that others can see clearly as well."

"Exactly. It dawned on me that I know nothing about her really."

"But what about those times that you were rambling about the things that she likes or does not like? or her food preferences? or her favorite pet?"

"All found on the Internet. Some could have even been fabricated by her own company to cultivate her image. Like that time she was talking about her favorite book. It could just have been all for show."

"Or maybe she really loves that book and could turn out to be as big of a nerd as you are."

"I don't know."

"Ok V. I will tell you this. You can have all these fears but sooner or later you would still want to face them. This is one of those chances for you to know. And not knowing, maybe missing this entails a lot of regrets. So whatever she turns out to be tomorrow you can walk away with the knowledge that you got a glimpse of the real person rather than the idol on the screen."

V nodded. He moved closer to her and looked into her eyes.
"See. This is why you are my best friend.Thank you Hani." And V kissed her on the forehead.

Hani was trying hard not to cry so she turned around and pretended to sleep. Masking her sobbing with the thick pillow.

V totally unaware laid flat on the couch and looked at the ceiling and after a couple of minutes snored softly.

"You are an idiot V." Hani said between sobs that only she could hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment