Friday, May 10, 2019

"Remembering Gideon"


"Remembering Gideon"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

I first met Gideon in a game in Padi's Point , SM North Edsa. I remember being annoyed at him. He kept on goading my creatures to attack him or outright killing them when they do attack the following turn. 

I thought to myself that this guy means business. I remember downing an opponent to 1 life and he comes along and all my creatures seem to dwindle until I see a Cawblade hitting me in the face or buddy Jace the Mindsculptor getting a piece of my brain and library behind the beefcake wall. I grew to hate him that day. Yes I did. 


Fast forward to 2 years back and I met Gideon yet again. My daughter with the lucky hands opened his Gideon of the Trials reincarnation and I knew that I had an EDH deck full of other Gideons waiting for this one. I loved having the big guy on my side of the board , making things difficult for my opponents instead of me. I loved him in those days. Yes I did.

So how do I feel that he is gone? I feel happy that his story has come to its fitting end. A heroes exit. A hero through and through till the end. Gideon will always be remembered as the embodiment of this ideal. He may not be perfect , he made mistakes on the way but he worked hard to be sure that he was the best version of himself and in the end redeem himself. It makes him human. It makes him believable. I will miss. Yes I will.

And so I will buy his spellbook as Magic seems to be making that available after making me feel so sad at his demise. Yes I will buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment