Friday, May 10, 2019

"3 things I have seen this week 2019 : Pinoy Names."



"3 things I have seen this week 2019 : Pinoy Names."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD



I have always found it interesting that pinoys have this overwhelming need to add as much extra letters into a name that would other wise seem elegant without the extra consonants.

1) The H is silent

I had a patient who had the name Jhaesthine. Yup. This name has too many H's in it if you ask me. A simple Justin would have supposed but noooooooo. The consonants are free let us go ahead and make out childs like difficult and make it interesting for every doctors visit or roll call.


2) Subtracting is more.

And then there are those who have names that become unique without trying by subtraction.

Me:So is your name Achelle? Parang Rachelle without the R ano?
Patient: Actually po inalis nila yung R talaga.

Yeah Achelle. It sounds like a pain somehow.

3) Less is more too

And the last patient I had was someone called Regin. I pronounced it as Rejin but she corrected me right away by saying that it was like the singer Regine Velasquez. Regine without the E. Regin.

Sigh if we are not adding extra things we are subtracting letters from what seemed like already fine names.Only in the Philippines.

Oh and as of this writing I have a late entry. Someone named Jesica....I thought it was an error on her chart or ID but that is her name. Missing that S that makes it a normal name.

No comments:

Post a Comment