Thursday, April 11, 2019

"Are we going back to New Phyrexia?


"Are we going back to New Phyrexia?
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

One of the things that made my Phyrexian heart skip a beat was that in the lore of the Dominaria expansion ,  Karn had been excavating the Cyclix , a device that he plans to use to blow up the entire plane of New Phyrexia(formerly Mirrodin AKA Karn's plane). 

Just the mention of the metal plane sent me into a speculative frenzy and so me and my friends were excited to see a particular mechanic make a comeback in the War of the Spark. Proliferate! This mechanic let's you increase counters on permanents and on players. And in my mind that can only mean Poison counters.

There are several cards that make you proliferate in this expansion to support the large numbers of planeswalkers. There are a lot of creatures as well as lands that can do this for you.

This expansion features a lot of creative ways that proliferate can be expressed. Aside from creatures dying and then proliferating , there is the land fall trigger and the first time proliferate appears on a land card.

Magic loves to overlap mechanics , making synergies for the next set. And with Proliferate coming back. It seems( at least in my mind) that the Infect mechanic is now a big possibility.

Will they let the Infect mechanic return as it is? I doubt it. I predict that we will be seeing a watered down version of it in the next set. Or maybe we can even see the first ever Planeswalker with Infect coming out of that corrupted metal plane.

Be still my beating Phyrexian heart. It seems that Return to New Phyrexia is going to be a thing in the future. Keeping my oil slicked fingers for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment