Thursday, March 21, 2019

"Serra the Benevolent: Before the Phyrexian Oil!"



"Serra the Benevolent: Before the Phyrexian Oil!"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

Anyone who has played magic in it's early days have heard about the crowd favorite Serra Angels and their 4/4 flying Vigilant ways. I have a
Beta for my daughters Angel EDH deck. I always thought that there was a creative space for Serra herself as a planeswalker and then one weekend while I was browsing lazily this shows up in my feed.

Serra Herself and I focused on that second ability so bad. Serra creating her iconic angels! And so another piece for my Mono White Angel EDH deck emerges.

At 4 mana and 4 loyalty Serra the Benevolent wants you to play with a lot of flying creatures on your early turns. Spirits , Angels , Sprites , Kami's you name it. For as long as it flies it will fly in this deck.

Her first ability gives each flying creature you control a +1/+1 stat boost. Like that Global Enchantment...Sorry my age is showing....Enchantment that gives a permanent +1/+1 stat boost to creatures with flying.

If you don't have a flying creature or any creature when you cast Serra the Benevolent then feel free to create one. A 4/4 beacon of beauty. I can't wait for the tokens on this one or I might create one myself.

And what about Serra the Benevolents last ability? Well have you heard of the card wordship? The very same one which works well with Cho-Manno , Pariah and Mother of Runes? Or any indestructible creature with a Lightning Greaves on it.

Yup. Worship Serra and her emblem says damage that would reduce your life total to less than 1 reduces it to one instead. You survive burnings. You survive life loss. You worship , you live.

The Angelic planeswalker has now come. I cant wait for the other token producing PW's that will be coming from this set or are they going to be something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment