Thursday, February 28, 2019

"Midweek Magic 2019 #8 :The Simic Rises"


"Midweek Magic 2019 #8 :The Simic Rises"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

There are times when you just want to win with something different and for me that something different was Simic Ascendancy. One look at the card and I said. I could really abuse this. With a lot of counters of course.

I already had an existing Vorel of the Hull Clade deck but I just had to build a new Simic deck and this time it was built around the Battle Bond pair of Pyr and Toothy. All the better to put counters on things with.

It was a Thursday and it meant Yo and Pao would be in the office for some Magic. It was also our first pantry magic for the year. Pao was not able to bring his own deck and so borrowed Yo's Slimefoot Saproling heavy EDH deck. Yo would play a Jhoira deck. 

I was able to bring out a Simic Ascendancy and then Pyr. Basically when Pyr gets a counter from the Ascendancy , The Ascendancy gets two of counters of it's own. It was not long before I had 20 counters on it and waiting for my upkeep for the win.

Yo had no way of responding to this and Pao made a crucial mistake since he was unfamiliar with the deck Yo often used to frustrate fast attackers. He was not able to cast a Rescue from the Underworld on my turn. If he realized it , he would have had an Acidic Slime from my own graveyard coming into the battlefield to spoil my fun.

And so the Simic rose to victory. It was a thrilling one.

No comments:

Post a Comment