Thursday, December 27, 2018

"My Shifting Christmas Shifts."



"My Shifting Christmas Shifts."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

Ever since I was an intern I seem to have been born with the misfortune of getting the Christmas and New Year duties of almost each year. I had a suspicion that some of my early group mates were counting the duties heading into December so that I would get those sucky schedules.

It was sad and it sucked to be handling the Christmas and New year toxicity in the hospital. I never dreamt of doing that for the rest of my life so I opted not to work in the hospital and I pursued a Company setting that gave me a better environment to work in if not always the best pay.

And this year here I am again being in Christmas duty. This time I think that there was no way that I could actually avoid this. I had schedules except for the Sunday! At least I would not be suspicious of any group mates since I was the one who actually chose my schedule. Do I think that it still sucks? Not really. I get paid double and I get to go home to my family in the morning on a night that they actually just go to sleep anyway. So win-win all around for me. I get peace and quiet and get paid for it and I don't have to miss my family unlike my past Christmas duties.

I guess I just count myself blessed that I can choose. I can be where I want to be. I am free.

No comments:

Post a Comment