Thursday, December 27, 2018


"3 things I have seen this week - The Winners MAMA 2018"
by:
The Vole

I have seen things this week and it has bothered me. And it made me happy and made me sad as well. This years MAMA has been such a mixed bag for me. I was expecting a lot of things and a lot of them have been there for awhile. There are a few surprises though and those same things is what is causing me to write this.

1) BTS tearful speech

I have no doubt in my mind that BTS deserved their award. Their fame and headliner status the world over has guaranteed this as much. The Revelation that they considered disband however is something that I had to take with a grain of salt. I don't think that anyone in their right mind would give up the apex of their prime to be out of the spotlight just like that. The Koreans really know how to pull heart strings and with BTS coming back stronger next year I think that this is just a tug on those same heart strings to support them. I have no doubt that it has worked.

2) A Sudden Twice appeared.

When Twice appeared in Hong kong many were caught unaware. They were expected to be somewhere else. They were expected to be doing something else and yet here they were. They took awards for merely coming. Granted that people voted for them but they took a lot of flak for winning things that many people thought they should have probably given to others. While the band itself should not be the one to be totally blamed since it was their management who decided this.It was still an award. It was still exposure. The girls deserved it. It just pained me that some groups without the level of Twice's popularity did not win.

3) Gracious Queens. Oh My Girl

Oh my girl made an impression in their first MAMA appearance since they debuted 3 years ago. I could only imagine how their expectations were crushed when they found that TWICE was attending. OMG was invited and was expected to win the Best Female Group performance for their Jan 2018 song Secret Garden. They probably did not know that they would not be winning that award that day. It did not show on their Red Carpet appearances nor in their Collab Stage with WSJN. They simply performed and was their awesome selves. I think it just sank in when they were in the crowd with all the other groups and their name was never called. They were seated near TWICE and BTS and Sunmi. And their names were never called.

I still think that they won out in the end with their exposure and their grace as they sat through the awards show. And not a single comment about this issue from WM or Oh My girl themselves. Classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment