Friday, September 28, 2018

"3 things I have seen his week: Aven's Ranking Edition"



"3 things I have seen his week: Aven's Ranking Edition"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

The other day my wife told me that my daughter Aven ranked #7 overall from her class of 42. There was a list of the top 20 and my wife told me that this was a very serious rank since they no longer ranked all the students together. I was very proud of this fact and as I was curious I scanned the list of names on the list. Here are the 3 things that I have noticed.

1) Girl Power

From #7 to #1 everyone on the list were girls. With only 2 males breaking it into the top 10. Aven told me that part of the reason was that there were a lot of previous Star Section Students that were part of her class as well as Monster transferees who were just as good. Happy that you are on the top too anak.

2) Unlucky 13

There is a girl from Aven's class who usually taunts her. While Aven has learned to deal with this person she does tell us one story about her from time to time. So both my wife and I knew the girls name. It must be galling for this person to see that Aven is way above her in the rankings.

3) Surpassing those from the past

When Aven transferred we knew we had a lot of catching up to do but we did not expect to be lagging so far behind. Aven with all her diligence and hardwork was able to bridge the gap from her previous school and Notre Dame. It did not come easy and there were a lot of frustations along the way. Math is Aven's weak point(Same as mine) and there were times that her classmates would help her out. One guy in particular stood out for me because he was very nice to her. I scanned for his name in the 20 names and there he was. The 20th person.

I asked my wife , is this the same Math guy who used to tutor Aven? I wonder how he feels that Aven has surpassed him?

Leave it to someone like me to see all these thins from a list of 20 names. All in All I am just proud of how Aven has carried herself through out this school year. We expect a lot more from her but our promise is that we will always be there for her every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment