Monday, December 11, 2017

"Midweek Magic December 2017 #50: Hit and Run Pack Buy."


"Midweek Magic December 2017 #50: Hit and Run Pack Buy."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD


I work hard every day. I have insane schedules that sometimes just allow me 3-4 hours of sleep before I need to go to my next duty. I have been blessed with these opportunities but sometimes during a hard week I turn to what I call a hit and run pack buy.

Since I live in very close proximity to Spiral Valenzuela , I sometimes buy myself a pack or two or even single cards that I put on my car dashboard. I sometimes open the pack at the beginning of my Friday night duties as a treat to myself. There is nothing like seeing a pack of cards or a pile of singles on my dashboard. It relaxes me.

On one of these Hit and Run pack buys I snatched 2 Iconic Masters packs and it was my hope that I would get a Kiki-Jiki or maybe a Kokusho. Cards that I felt I missed out on because that was my worst off year in Magic during the Kamigawa block. 

When I opened my first pack I got some common cards that I might need like Dissipate but my rare was an Obstinate Baloth. Not bad but not enough to cover the cost of the pack I just opened. I would be able to find a place for this Baloth but I was beginning to feel a little disappointed.

My 2nd pack was looking a little better with an opening of Mana leak  and an uncommon Mishra's Bauble that I never had before. My 2nd rare was disappointing as well and I actually forgot what it was and the reason for that was when I reached the end of the pack pile and revealed my foil...it was an Ancestral Vision with the new art work.



Jackpot I said to myself but I was expecting it to be just around 20 bucks or so. I was in a for a much better surprise when it turned out to be a 60 dollar card!

I initially thought of using the card but my Locust God EDH did not need a suspend card that would net me cards much later on in the game. And as if falling into place I saw the the post of Roniel Hisao in MTG Tambayan with some cards that I could actually use.

Purphorus and Sneak attack were my easy picks and I was hoping that he also had a Kiki Jiki. When I made the trade I was able to acquire the 2 former cards I mentioned but alas he did not have the Kiki-jiki I wanted but I did get a lot of other cool cards in exchange. One of them was a card I wanted but was not able to get when it came out. It was Thing in the Ice. This sparked a joke in my head. "Naghahanap ng Kiki pero ang nakita ay Titi." Which is so wrong on so many levels but it made me laugh.

Needless to say I was happy with the cards that I can actually use in strengthening some of my existing EDH decks. Purphorus God of the Forge in my Locust God deck. Sneak Attack in my Scion of the Ur-dragon deck and Young Pyromancer into my Omnath,Locust of Rage deck.



No comments:

Post a Comment