Friday, October 13, 2017

"Midweek Magic October 2017 #37: Strong to the Last"


"Midweek Magic October 2017 #37: Strong to the Last"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

By the time that I have written this my friend Ram has already come and gone by the office and we have had our last games together as officemates. Well him being from the company and me being in the company clinic.

It was a tough few days seeing him do his clearances and the thought that one of the best players I have ever faced will no longer be playing on the same table as me for awhile. 

So for his last day as an employee of the company I decided that I will not be the archenemy. I will be the Minion Support. We play a version of Archenemy where if there are 4 or more players we could have an ally that can be support or designated hitter for the Archenemy.

I guess I could not bring myself to fight against him for these last games so I opted to fight alongside him for a change. It was also an odd sensation fighting alongside him because we were so used to me being the receiving end of counters and attacking creatures. Tonight it was different. I wanted to send him off victorious in this field of battle.

And Victorious we were. 



And there were times in the games that I felt superflous as his deck and tactics seemed to be able to ensure of his win all by themselves. Like the time he pulled off everyone's "favorite control combo" the dreaded Stasis and then Capsized it back at the end of our opponents turns so that we would have the only permanents to untap on each of the succeeding turns. Locking down everyone else isn't a great feeling except for the one doing the Lock down.

I will always remember the stupidly strong combos and the oppressive ways that you torment us my friend. Another will rise to take your place but you will always have that spot reserved when you come back. Strong to the last. We will welcome you back on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment