Monday, September 18, 2017

"Midweek Magic September 2017 #34: Elementals Vs. Dragons"


"Midweek Magic September 2017 #34: Elementals Vs. Dragons"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

A game of magic can have both extremely satisfying and frustrating moments. Usually rolled into just one game. This happened last week but I just got around to writing it now because of my new schedules.New schedules!!!! Whew! 

(Oh and I was trying not so hard to not be sad because one of my friends is resigning and I wanted to play as many decks against him as possible before he goes.)

So sad thoughts aside I again found myself in a three way battle with Ram , Yo and Jus. They were running these decks , Mono Blue Control , Draconic Dominance and Pussies! More on the pussies on a future Midweek Magic.(on the next one actually).

I was using my old faithful Omnath , Locus of Rage and got the rare chance of controlling Ram for a change by destroying his 3 existing Islands. For some reason Yo and his normally efficient pussies was not developing a proper mana base. So it was Jus and those dragons I love to save the day. He was able to summon a Scion of the Ur Dragon and with an Utvara Hellkite and several dragons created massive damage and more dragons to hurt me on the next turn. I think it was 13 dragons in total.6 were going to play defense.

I was down to 18 life at this point but I would be saved by a Mwonvuli Tracker who enabled me to fetch a Liege of the Tangle and I was able to Swiftfoot boots it after playing it , it dealt damage and I was able to put  Awakening counters on all 14 of my existing lands. All of them were 8/8. I was able to attack Jus with them and even with the massive dragon army I was able to squeak in 4 8/8's that finished him. This was the satisfying part of the game for me. Finally able to win with the Liege of the Tangle , a foil one too which had been languishing in one of my boxes for 7 years because I had no one to play with. 

"My Liege!"

The frustrating part came a few turns after when Ram was able to drop his 4th Island in play and promptly Washed out all of my big creatures. Leaving me both creature less and Landless. Talk about a massive turn around. 


It was only a matter of time before Yo and his pussies got to churning metal and more cats to kill me. Oh well. What's another pussy kill after all. I am getting used to it by now. All those lethal scratches.

No comments:

Post a Comment