Friday, September 15, 2017

"3 things I have seen this week September 2017 #3 : Books"


"3 things I have seen this week September 2017 #3 : Books"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

Books. A big part of who I am and will always be a part of my life. So I was surprised at the things that I saw this week and though disappointed I know that I will recover.

1) 4 books.

Asap Science is a youtube channel and they had a video on averages. They said that the average person reads at least 4 books a year. So I looked at the calendar. It was already September and I have not read a single book for the year! Wow. I never thought I was this below average with all the books that I have. It doesn't count if you don't read it I guess. Time to rectify that.

2) Unfinished tales.

One of the piles on our Loft holds my cards and my books. Recently my wife bought me a copy J.R.R Tolkiens unfinished tales and I found it lying there when I was in my brewers madness mode looking for cards. And so it is my quest to read this book. Finally.


3) National Bookstore...where some people don't know books.

It was a sad day when my daughter and I went hunting for Lemony Snickett's Series of Unfortunate Events at a National bookstore branch at an SM that rhymes with Borth Pedsa. 

The customer service was so busy talking to someone on the phone that I had to wait for her to finish and when she got to talk to me I told her the name of the book and she said that that did not have the bundle of books and she pointed to the shelves behind her. Ito lang po yung bundles namin.

I said na kahit na di bundle kasi we can buy it per piece if needed. She didn't even look at the computer that was in front of her before she gave me this info. So I asked her to do so although I did not trust her to give me any useful info since I was there there previous week looking for a Manix Abrera comic book and they said they didn't have any in stock and when I went looking for it they had a ton of them near the exit. 

Long story short the CS pointed me to another lady who wanted to know what kind of book Lemony Snickett's Series of Unfortunate Events. I would understand if it was one of those rare books that you need to dust off somewhere but this was a fairly known books series and it even had a movie. 

So I was passed on to someone in charge of Young Adult and Childrens books who was also unable to locate the said series. It was at this point that I said that I would rather buy my daughter some other book and will be bringing my money to somewhere where they know their books or at least know how to properly locate it on a computer.

Oddly enough when there was still a Branch at the Annex of SM Borth Pedsa all you had to do was name a book and the lady there would gladly point to you where exactly it was and I found that amazing. Given the place was smaller than the bigger main branch but still you have to know where a book is especially if it isn't some arcane book.

Sigh.


No comments:

Post a Comment