Sunday, September 10, 2017

"EDH Restoration and Developmental program:A response to loss"


"EDH Restoration and Developmental program:A response to loss"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

For about 3 weeks now I have embarked on a very ambitious personal project and that is to restore all of my EDH decks and try and add some more to my original set.

I started out with a Skullbriar deck that I played mostly as a reanimator shell rather than fully taking advantage of Skullbriars +1/+1 piling on itself abilities. At least it was like that in the beginning. Most people who I got to play with still associate me with my original Golgari deck but I have turned my attention elsewhere now that I have a stable playing group.

Initially I aimed at making competitive modern decks for our Archenemy sessions and it was quite enjoyable because it proved that I can win and still have fun even with decks that I never thought I could play with. I was simply happy being able to pull off combos , play cards that were in stock for years until these glorious days where they had time to shine.



I initially had 18 EDH decks that were cannibalized for competitive pieces for my Modern decks and for the several Tiny Leaders decks that I made(including my favorite Skullbriar who had to undergo deck conversion). It became so bad that all I had left was 4 operational EDH decks. 

Momir Vig , Vorel of the Hull Clade , Zirilan of the Claw and Phenax ,God of Deception were the only commanders left. I seldom got to play these 4 commanders but I got inspired again by two things , by an awesome Omnath , Locus of Rage deck that I fought with my brother from another mother Mark Abude and the realization that in my playgroup despite being gutted of its Mana rocks and other Lands , Phenax was still able to win.



I also wanted to play EDH as much as possible as one of my most favorite opponents was going to resign at the end of this September. Ram if you are reading this I want to fight with all of my decks against you. And hopefully ascend them into their full and complete versions before you go. I always thought that we would still have a lot of play tests together but I guess that also comes to an end.

As of this writing I have finished decks 33 and 34. Teysa , Orzhov Scion and Bruuna , Light Alabaster. I simply could not help myself. Bruuna in particular was something that I have wanted to make for a long time. 

Now that 34 decks are now operational it is now time to play test and improve them. 34,000 individual cards boggle my mind and I am thankful that I have the capability to make all of them possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment