Wednesday, July 19, 2017

"The Scorpion God: Feeling the Sting."


"The Scorpion God: Feeling the Sting."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

So I opened my Hour of Devastation fat bundle and I was excited about all the EDH goodies that I was able to get and I am raring to upgrade some of my existing EDH decks with the new cards but one card in particular stood out for me. My lone mythic card of the whole bunch and that was the 3rd god whom I did not write about. The Scorpion God makes an appearance as if to mock me. "So you don't want to write about because my other brothers seemed cooler huh , so let me make an appearance and let's see how you deal with it."

So here I am finally writing about the 3rd god who in my opinion seems underwhelming when compared to the other too but I guess if I can write about the Meandering Tower shell then I can write about a 6/5 god with recursion.

So at 5 mana , 3 colorless and Rakdos colors of Red/Black The Scorpion God is something that thrives on the death of other creatures , especially weakened creatures. Those that have -1/-1 counters on them when they die for whatever reason.

So board wipe with a Garruk's wake for example and all 3 creatures on your opponents side of the board turns into card advantage for you. While there are a lot of draw spells in Black and Red this particular drawing capacity that circles around the god is something now. So the point here is to put a lot of -1/-1 counters on your creatures or your opponents.

The color that takes advantage of these -1/-1 counters with token production is Black and Green , producing Snakes with Hapatra and Scarabs with nest of scarabs. Creature advantage is great since you can swarm away when necessary. If you want to play with the Scarab God with these cards though then you will be entering Jund Color territory which is not at all bad , I just don't know the survival rate of Jund in current standard right now but in EDH this could be the key to possible good build.




When I was listening on the youtube channel The Aetherhub and Seiben was talking about the fight between Rhonas and The Scorpion God an idea came to me about how to put the latter's ability to great use. He himself could finish off creatures and I don't mean Just pinging them to death at 3 mana cost at a time with his ability.

You could attack with him and then use the ability to finish off really big creatures or maybe even to weaken a big blocker , someone who have 5 power or so that could kill The Scorpion god when they butt heads. When you pull this off not only have you killed an opposing creature but reap the benefits of a card draw as well.

No one in my playgroup has raved about using The Scorpion God yet and I just might surprise everyone by using him as a commander soon. A 6/5 that has the possibility of recursion is not that bad to have and if you use him as a commander you can opt to put him in your graveyard and he can come back to your hand at the end of your turn. Sounds great to have in a commander right? The other 2 gods have this two but those are different monsters on their own.

So what do you think about the Scorpion God? What combos do you think would he fit in?Keep on brewing.Time to upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment