Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Midweek Magic 2017 #21 - "Teka. Magkakampi na tayo!"


"Midweek Magic 2017 #21 - "Teka. Magkakampi na tayo!"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

Anyone who has ever played Magic with a particular player or playgroup for a long time will tell you that it is very easy to fall into particular roles or patterns of behaviour on any specific game. Especially in multiplayer games likes EDH or Archenemy or Archenemy EDH as what we sometimes play in our group.

In a group there will always be dominant players who want to exert their types of game play , when I am Archenemy I am control and this is balanced by Ram and Janry who also play control or in local Magic terms "Pulis." These two are very efficient in their roles that normally the group falls to the Archenemy when one of them falters in game play. Of course it also doesn't help when schemes are all falling into place and the Archenemy has a strong deck.

One time we switched up roles and decided that Pao , one of our newer players would be Archenemy and since I was free from trying to control the board I also switched up to the role of assaulter and as anyone would tell you my preferred choice of game play. I was playing Gruul(R/B) Instead of my usual Dimir or Sultai Colors. Ram and I found ourselves at the same side of the table for once but the weird part is that he naturally keeps on thinking that I was still the Archenemy so when I plopped down a Zhur taa Ancient the following exchange occurred ,

Ram: "Teka , counter ko yan!"

Pao and Yo: (Nabigla)

Me: (Nabigla din) "Teka! Magkakampi na tayo!"

Ram: "Sorry. Sorry. Reflex."

Yup we have been playing Magic for a while now that I instinctively Ram taps mana to counter for a big threat that I summon even if the Archenemy was the one who was supposed to be worried. Just another game in our Midweek Magic adventures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment