Thursday, April 27, 2017

"Midweek Magic 2017 #15: Onslaught Nostalgia"


"Midweek Magic 2017 #15: Onslaught Nostalgia"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

Lately I have been playing more and more as an Archenemy during our midweek Magic games at Eton and since I was able to assemble my Tron deck featuring the Eldrazi brood and the Planeswalkers Ugin and Karn I have been winning more and more. I realized that Ugin is an absolute asshole in games even I am up against 3 or more people.

However I feel a lot more excitement from the games because of the Schemes that I get to enact. Ram has been calling it God Schemes since lately I have been drawing really great ones when I play my Tron deck. My favorite would be have you met my Cohort where I get to play Karn or Ugin for free and I don't even need to have them in my hand,

In one particular game we were joined by Jus who brought his old , unsleeved deck which gave me so much horror for 2 reasons. 

1 is because it contained all the Legendary Champions from Onslaught. Akroma , Silvos , Rorix , Visara , Arcanis and Jareth. And Jus was just shuffling them in without any protection! The horror! 

It gave me so much nostalgia because Onslaught was the first time that I really got into magic and here was Jus who also started around that time despite our age difference. 

2 reason that this deck gave me horror is the Riptide Shapeshifter , something that lets you name a creature card type and you get to reveal cards from your library until you reveal the creature card type and  plop that down after paying the activation cost. 

Of course Jus named Angel and on the battlefield went Akroma who I had no answer to at that time. It took a couple of turns to reduce my life total and despite my god like luck in schemes I was beaten by one of my favorite cards in Magic.

I had such a great time despite being horrified at the cards and their future state. Jus. For the love of the game please put them in proper sleeves. Those champions deserve it ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment