Thursday, April 27, 2017

"Midweek Magic 2017 # 14 - Tron Tron Tron"



"Midweek Magic 2017 # 14 - Tron Tron Tron"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD


Have you ever been beaten by 4 Metalwork Colossus who came in and gave an Akroma impersonation because of the latter's Memorial in play? Flying Robots give me the chills. It's a good thing there are not Blightsteel Colossus in this deck.

Or how about having your life total smashed by a Reality Smasher and right behind him , attacking next turn was an Ulamog the Ceaseless Hunger and Kozilek the Great Distortion?Yup ,2 of the Brood waiting in the wings to finish you off. Very bleak right?

These are decks that are powered by the Urzatron lands which give off massive amounts of energy when you have all three lands in play which are Urza's Tower , Mine and Powerplant.
For weeks I have been beaten by these fast decks and have been longing to get my own Tron lands and finally this week I was able to go back to our Ancestral house and got most of my cards. It was a painstaking effort to go through dusty boxes and binders but it was worth it to find my Tron lands in pristine condition after being kept in that binder for years without play.

I finally found a home worthy for Ugin and Karn and Emrakul and Kozilek the Great distortion who my friend Ram sold to me on the cheap. The tron I built was not perfect because it seemed like an EDH deck with singular copies of creatures and planeswalkers and things like my Oblivion Stone. What felt great though is that I really did not have to spend anything at all to build the deck. Expedition Map , Prophetic Prism . Chromatic Prism and Ancient Stirrings were available to me as well as a set of Copperline Gorges that was also sold to me on the cheap by my friend Ace. See. It pays to have friends.

Last night we were able to play 5 chaos magic using the star pattern so that we don't have to deal with each other all that much. What happened is something that I didn't even expect would happen. Ram on the other hand expected that I would be able to draw and dig deep into my RG Tron deck. First up was Ugin who wiped the board clean very early. From then no one was able to set up properly until Karn appeared and then Emrakul and Desolation Twin finished the job with two successive turns. I think I enjoyed the nervous laughter and the constant threat assessment but without another play in check the Colorless monstrosities just rampaged. I plan to play another deck next time or play this deck against other Tron decks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment