Thursday, April 27, 2017

"Midweek Magic 2017 #13 - Gathering Energy for Jund"


"Midweek Magic 2017 #13 - Gathering Energy for Jund"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

This week has been a very successful one for me as I was able to go to Regran and was able to find the pieces I was looking for to complete my Jund Energy deck (Or at least most of the pieces that did not include Lands , Planeswalkers named Chandra and Walking Ballistas). 

I was nervous to have it tested against another fellow Jund Energy deck player in Janry. I was also very excited with the interactions that I saw during my own play testing. 

Of course the deck revolves aroung getting a Winding Constrictor on the battlefield and abusing the counters it can give you and your creatures. I was running a full set of Rishkars which might be a little risky but in my play testing I have found that getting two of them is not really bad.This guy and the snake really play well. Just the two of them become instant power houses since there is essentially 2 +1/+1 counters on them.Casting another Rishkar blows up one of the existing copies on the battlefield but you have to choice of which to send to your graveyard so the one who dies is the fresh one and the old one could attack with an additional 2 +1/+1 counters. The interaction gets out of hand really fast.I was able to do this in several games and won. 

Another thing I have learned is that Longtusk cub would just keep on himself with Energy and grow really fast with a snake in play and even net you 3 energy counters for whatever it is that you want to do later on.

Nissa , Vital Force is also great here since you can use her ultimate ability on next turn that she came in . You get an emblem which is Landfall=Draw a card. Land Fetches get you 2 cards. Evolving Wilds nets you 2 cards for example.

And my lone Walking Ballista? Well in one test play I was able to grow it to an 8/8 which attacked for for 8 damage and then let go of all it's counters to deal 8 damage more to finish the game. Baboy. Simply Baboy.

I can't wait to have more testing done but for now I have been able to find a home for Ulrich of the Krallenhorde and Ishkanar. I might not get the chance to use this rather than for training against my improved Blue Black Tezzeret schemer deck. 



No comments:

Post a Comment