Tuesday, February 28, 2017

"Midweek Magic 2017 #7-A:Jace seeking Jace."



"Midweek Magic 2017 #7-A:Jace seeking Jace."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

The decks I face here in HP Eton are varied and challenging. Which is something that I could not say for the current state of standard where Vehicles are the thing as of the moment. Sorry about that. I just had to let that out for the moment.

After enjoying making and fighting with my Mardu and Sultai superfriends decks I realized that I had enough planeswalker to make another deck. Because I recently acquired a Dovin Baan from my friend Janry and my brother Aj was selling me his Tezzeret the Schemer I was planning on doing some sort of Esper deck. Needless to say I felt like my concept did not fit into the Esper mode and I felt like I was lacking manlands or scry lands at this point. I was a bit spoiled with my 2 previous decks. So I gravitated to the other half of my sultai self which is Dimir colors. I took some of my best blue and black colored creatures as well as some much needed mass removal in Life's Finale and Crux of Fate. Some disruption with Despise and card draw with Serum Visions.

I honestly believe that I came up with a deck that was a bit rushed and a bit to chopsuey to be any good. As it turned to be one of the best decks I made even if it feels like an EDH deck with a one of each creature in it .I can't believe that the concept worked. Then again I always did love milling opponents.


One fun time I had with the deck was when I actually got to play against another miller deck. Janry brought out a deck that featured Jace's Erasure and Sphinx's Tutelage. I got beat by how fast it all was and all of my mass removal spells were stuck in my hand because quite frankly there was nothing to mass remove. This was a role reversal of sorts when Janry played with me the previous night and 3 Fatal push's were stuck in his hand because Massacre Wurm and Erebos were not really viable targets.

Needless to say I hope that I would find the Jace I needed to mill at my opponent. So it was case of Jace looking forever for Jace. Jace Beleren turning into Jace , Architect of Thought but too little too late. I guess it is time to tweak it a little bit more against this strategy but I have another story that might not be in favor of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment