Tuesday, February 28, 2017

"Midweek Magic 2017 #6: Growing."


"Midweek Magic 2017 #6: Growing."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

There is something about the presence of other planeswalkers that attracts other planeswalkers. If you see a group playing magic the gathering in a pantry or even one of the restaurants or convenience stores near your work or school then you can rest assured that after awhile that group will not remain small for long.

Our little group of 4 planeswalkers in the HP pantry during Tuesday to Thursdays(coinciding with my clinical duties at the  site! What a coincidence! Nakakabigla!) has now officially grown to 7 with a revolving number from 7 to 9! All decks are welcome from Legacy to Standard and everything in between. My reasoning in this is that all of our decks deserve their time in the sun but just in case I decided to make at least one deck for each format.

I was excited today that I just had to write this. My Sultai superfriends took to the field(Di pa tapos yung planned Esper Superfriends ko at the moment) and it was summarily beaten to a pulp by Slivers! Aggro multicolored Slivers that poisoned but normally just beat you to death with superior numbers. Of course the Leyline of Lifeforce didn't help things either when my opponent RJ was able to play it on both games and I had no Damnation in sight nor was I able to dig it up for the rest of the 2 early games. Control was only established on the third game as if my Sultai superfriends deck was running on diesel or something.



I was also able to control a Saheeli copy cat deck with a turn 1 Inquisition of Kozilek discarding Saheeli early. I had to consider myself lucky since the control aspect of my Sultai deck came on earlier but I still had to rely on a Garruk and 8 6/6 wurm tokens to win. I was able to exploit a particular weakness in the combo since I had discard with Liliana. I have to bring my standard Metalwork Colossus deck next time to see if it can fight against this deck and allow me to survive further come GP Manila in June.

I am happy to be part of an ever expanding party of planeswalkers. I might see the day the pantry gets completely overrun by Magic players. That will be the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment