Tuesday, January 24, 2017

"Midweek Magic 2017 #3 - Reanimation Mirror"


"Midweek Magic 2017 #3 - Reanimation Mirror"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

In all my years of playing magic I have never fought another reanimator while I was not piloting my own reanimator. The first time I was taught of the concept was with my Uncle , I ran a Goblin deck that was just meant to overwhelm. Often times in my play groups in Accenture when I was still working there I would be running any number of my decks but it often would not be a reanimator and I had to face a guy who was using reanimation like my friend Mark who would dump Phyrexian Praetors left and right and then go for the beat down.

When I played against Ram this week he brought a deck that he often fought against and had a hard time winning. I was running my still incomplete B/R Dragon Reanimator that was just in name since there are a total of just 6 dragons in it at the time.



What I learned when we faced off was that individual pieces matter a lot despite having the same concept. For example I took out my Cabal Theraphy but Ram's deck had one.Using Flashback he sacrificed a Child of Alara to it and instantly wiped the board clean. I was thinking of the same card quietly sitting in a fatpack box somewhere and I was hitting myself in the head inward for not seeing the combo. When Jin Gitaxias was reanimated on the other side of the board I knew that I had to find my own copy of this Blue Praetor like I planned earlier that day. Nasa huli ang pagsisisi. I was not able to use it and it bit me. 


I keep talking about the way I learn from my mistakes as I play probably because winning is just winning. You learn some things from winning but I think that even in life you learn more from your losses and mistakes. And so I write them with a smile on my face knowing that there is still room to grow and improve. That I am no longer stagnating and still growing as a player. Maybe in our next Reanimation Mirror I can have all my pieces and still lose but again I fight with people who never back down as well even if we are all laughing as we play. 

Every week is different. Every is an outlet for weird brews and different interactions and situations. I will keep playing. You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment