Thursday, December 8, 2016

"Midweek Magic #6: Planeswalker Goal/ Diabolic Tutor Buddies"


"Midweek Magic #6: Planeswalker Goal/ Diabolic Tutor Buddies"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

If you are a player like me , the type who cannot go to weekly tournaments and has a very tight schedule. A schedule so tight that playtime needs to fit into a specific hour of the night or day. And like me, you might have acquired cards that you have just been dying to play but are unable to do so. Or worse yet you dream of finally being able to use a Planeswalker and push it to it's ultimate ability. I know that for some Magic players it had become a very common occurrence to just be able to cast planeswalkers and bring them to their ultimate power.

For me though. It makes me so happy that I have been fated to meet players who allow me to play and enjoy my decks to the fullest. It started with the Mardu deck that I player in GP Manila 2015. Admittedly the deck was half baked due to unforeseen circumstances at that time. It had 3 Sorin , Solemn Visitor's and a lone Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Sarkhan, The Dragonspeaker that I both got from packs. When I started playing with the deck again the planeswalkers just seemed to be drawn to it. Ugin, The Spirit dragon got in the act , I found my Karn, Liberated. Ajani Vengeant showed it's face along with Liliana of the Veil( a card that came from a Fatpack my wife both for me!) and my PR Liliana Heretical Healer.

To top it off I managed to pull a Chandra , Torch of Defiance that also fits the Mardu colors. With her in the mix I was able to play one of those things that I always wanted to play. I was able to pair her with Liliana and reenact the art on the Kaladesh version of Diabolic tutor. Granted my Mardu deck now feels like an EDH deck with random planeswalkers popping in and I have to adjust to whoever comes out first. I find that unpredictability exciting.I do not win a 100% of my games since I have really high level players against me. I do not mind in the least. Sometimes the effort that they show to beat the deck is enough. Most of the time just being able to cast a planeswalker that has been languishing in some protected box in my house is enough for me. This deck reminds me of the history that has stretched on for decades and I look forward to playing with it more.

I am thankful for being able to play every week and I keep on wondering who I will draw from my library next. Gideon Jura perhaps.Who knows right? I can't wait. 


No comments:

Post a Comment