Tuesday, September 29, 2020

"Doc In , Doc out - The Selfishness of others"

"Doc In , Doc out : The Selfishness of others"

by:

Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD


This story happened last month and has stuck with me as I am reminded that there will always be people who value themselves more than others.

So I went to the Portal Area of UP Ayala Technohub to buy a late dinner at the family mart there.These group of 6 women arrived the same time as me on a taxi. I paid them no mind since I was in a hurry but then they complained that the Starbucks was already closed.(11pm na).

One of them said , "Family mart na lang tayo , May Ice cream din dun." So it made me look at them. They were wearing plain clothes so they might be people living in a dorm nearby. I am sure there was still a curfew on so why were they all out if they were not on their way to work or coming home from it? They did not look like they had an emergency. Unless you count craving for Starbucks coffee or Ice cream an emergency. None of my business as far as I am concerned. They were all wearing masks and face shields.

So I went ahead of them to buy my food and drinks. They entered the Family mart with no regard for social distancing. They took off their face shields and lowered their masks to talk to people on their phones. "Asan kami? Gago nasa Tagaytay na kami" One of them said. Another asked the store clerks kung puwede daw ba silang tumambay sa labas ng Family Mart? Huh? Balak niyo pa talagang maghang out. Hopefully magkakasama sila sa isang bahay pero kung hindi we might be seeing a small cluster of infection here.

As I was going out , another woman lowered her mask and was talking excitedly on the phone , to a baby!!! I don't really know anymore.

This is the kind of attitude that would just let Covid19 continue on. May Curfew , nagcrave ng Ice Cream at Kape di bale na kung sila ang mahawa o makahawa sige labas pa din. Nakafacemask at shield pero inaalis din in an enclosed public space.This is why I have lost faith in most people.

220,000 plus cases and yet still here we are with these kinds of people.

As of this posting there are now more than 300,000 cases in our country along with more than 5000 deaths. And yet the Selfishness of others continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment