Tuesday, December 31, 2019

"As the year Ends.I remember."


"As the year Ends.I remember."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

An hour before the New Year , NU 107 would play their top 100 songs of the year. The air would be filled with the smell of smoke from things being cooked and from firecrackers that have been set off, as early as September that year. 

Our Dog , Scrappy whose nerves have been frayed from all the explosions would hide in the dresser in the middle of the house. I would be carrying a white cloth over my nose(My Mom insisted) as I walked all over the house , full from the food from a few minutes ago but still looking at the table for something else that was good and there were a lot of things there. 

Neighbors would keep coming borrowing things or giving more food or returning things or just to greet us a Happy New year. I would sneak over to my friends house and light fire crackers from a candle that was fixed to the street , the box of 5 stars and Super Lolo's a mere few feet away and there always seemed more to throw to the street. This year isn't over and I smile at the memories.

I find myself no longer at home. Alone. Taking care of patients at a time where I should be there with my family. Then again Mom and Dad are gone and my siblings live far from me. As the year ends I just want to remember these simple things.

Mahirap talaga kapag nasa Duty bagong mag bagong taon.

No comments:

Post a Comment