Monday, October 28, 2019

"Midweek Magic 2019 #30 - The Knights Ball"


"Midweek Magic 2019 #30 - The Knights Ball"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

I always wanted to attend one of those Melees. And when Ram Pascual decided to visit with his modified Mardu Knights Brawl Deck I was in a world of hurt.

My Mythic Streak has stretched on for 9 weeks. My losing streak with Scarab God Good stuff has also been extended for 9 losses straight from the hands of Mark Abude , Jus Puntay and now Ram Pascual.

My Scarab God deck appeared really sluggish in comparison to the well stoned and land fetching Mardu deck that I faced. I was not sure if this deck had a Knight of the White Orchid for Land fetching but it had one of my favorite equipments in Sword of the Animist that was slashing at me as Ram fetched for more lands and with it the ability to cast more Knights.

Again I was hurt by cards that I already had but not got around to building. Cards like the Khorvath Brightflame that utterly hurt me with all Knights landing on the battlefield with Flying and Haste and as if that was not enough Sylvia Brightspear can be fetched and cast to give the Dragon Double Strike. This was a very consistent interaction that I believed I lost 3 games to it. 

I guess the only spectacular play I would be making this night was when I cast Dark Petition with enough Instants and Sorceries in my graveyard that I would be able to fetch a Bontu's reckoning and extend my life for another turn. I died the next turn. Mostly by being trampled on by Knights.

Oh well.Time to fix Scarab God again. It seems that is time to take out some good stuffs and put in more rocks and tighter cards that fit my scheme.

Sometimes you need to get pummeled to knock some sense into you. Time to wake up then.

No comments:

Post a Comment