Tuesday, October 29, 2019

"A Short State Of Perfection"


"A Short State Of Perfection"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

I sat down with Aven the other day. I was a bit dismayed at how their theater club has been handled. I told my daughter that those were some of the most fun times that I had when I was still in High School and College that I even wanted to take it up as a course. 

We went to one of the exercises that were done to us and that was the one where everyone needs to catch a tennis ball ten consecutive times otherwise the count would go back to zero and the team would lose. It seemed easy enough but the ball can be thrown in any which way and sometimes those who seemed to be unaware of it or not focusing enough misses it , and you could hear the collective groaning of the group as they need to build up once more.

When I was running this particular exercise you have particular people trying to cover for the weak or inattentive but by the end of this exercise there were people who realized that they had to step up and be as good as those who were protecting them and usually that is how the game ends when all are in a heightened state of awareness , you are part of the group , this troupe is one unit. You need to trust the others to take over when you are lacking and you need to be strong when others are weak. I have found that people communicate more. Celebrating and Commiserating. 

The group is usually in a sweaty mess but they are satisfied having caught the elusive tennis ball ten consecutive times. A state of perfection is achieved but it is not permanent. You can only achieve this state for seconds at a time and you should make it count. 

It has been decades but I still remember this particular lesson and it is something that I would gladly pass on to my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment