Monday, September 30, 2019

"Midweek Magic 2019 #28 - The Persistent Wins"


"Midweek Magic 2019 #28 - The Persistent Wins"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

It is no secret among my playgroup and friends that I had been trying to make a Persistent Petitioners deck that had consistent outcomes in EDH. I have been trying it for some months now with The Scarab God but it proved to be slow or almost irrelevant when certain pieces were not made available like the Thrumming Stone. 

And so I decided that these guys would be so much better in a 60 card format like Oathbreaker. So I chose Ashiok Dreamrender and just made it a Monoblue deck with Persistent Petitioners almost making 1/3 of the decks. The other 1/3 was lands and then the other spells. 

Ashiok is an oppressive commander in Oathbreaker as he hoses down any tutor effects on your opponents part. 

In one early game I could only play 2 lands and drew my 3rd land 5 turns later. I did however play an early Drowned Secrets that milled an opponent 2 cards whenever you play a Blue Spell. And the deck was full of Blue spells! Mainly Persistent Petitioners! 

And so a little math(Math Ugh!!!!) showed me the target numbers.

7 initial draw. 
1 Card in opponents Draw step
Mill 2 at turn 3. 
In 5 turns it looked like this
7 Initial Draw
5 cards drawn
8 cards milled via Persistent Petitioners coming into play
12 cards on Persistent Petitioners special ability
Making that a total of 32 cards! 

The next two turns my opponent drew 2 more cards and I milled 24 cards with an intact Persistent Petitioners crew of 4.!!

Proving that the Persistent wins no matter how long it takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment