Monday, July 29, 2019

"3 things I have seen this week: Names"


"3 things I have seen this week: Names"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

I have a never ending fascination with names. I usually guess how those names end up that way. There are names that become twisted so that you don't know how to read them at all or some that you somehow feel that someone made a clerical error in filing for their child's name. And so here are 3 more names that I have seen this week.


1) Cristian

This is the one that I felt that they had an error in filing or spelling. Pinoys usually put way too much H's in a name so I was a bit surprised when they took out the H that made this name normal. I guess he isn't that Christ like after all.

2) Kriczel

I saw this on a billboard on my way to the clinic. I don't know what they were going for is it a fancy Criselda or a Kristel without the T. I am assuming that they call this girl (Kris-sell) . Crick Sell doesn't sound all too nice. 

3) Jaiouscel (jay-cel) - For this one I had to look at my patients ID and involuntarily blurted , "Kinuha niyo na po lahat ng vowels ano?"

I was curious as how to pronounce her name and it turned out to be a simple Jay-cel with a not so simple spelling.

I really enjoy meeting people with these unique and not so unique names. With all the patients I see each week I am sure to find weirder and weirder names.

No comments:

Post a Comment