Thursday, February 28, 2019

"Midweek Magic 2019 #7 : Azusa and her crippling cruelty"


"Midweek Magic 2019 #7 : Azusa and her crippling cruelty"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

It was week without a single match against my usually always present playmates in Eton Centris. I consoled myself by making decks and one of the things that I wanted to show off was my Azusa Mono Green Deck. 

It was a Wednesday and Yo was up to the challenge. It was Azusa vs. Jhoira and I was dreading the possibility of being controlled and countered or run over by creatures that come in after being suspended.

I did not foresee the events but I enjoyed them nonetheless. Azusa is a powerhouse when it comes to dropping lands and I joked to Yo that the goal of this deck is to spew out as much land as fast as it possibly could. Since green usually has a problem in the card drawing department I made sure that I had cards like Horn of Greed and Guardian Project from Ravnica Allegiance.

One of the things that I wanted to play was my Gigantosaurus. It's cost was prohibitive and belonged to a mono green EDH deck. Lucky for me that I happen to have one just for it.Unlucky for me that even before I could attack with it. Yo plopped down a Fogbank. Ah Fogbank how I hate you. So my 10/10 Dinosaur had to wait for it's chance to do some harm. It would not wait long.

It was not long before I was drawing into more and more lands and got Ramunap Excavator into play.Where I draw into my single Strip mine and was able to blow up 4 lands per turn because of an Into the Wilds and Azusa. I first disabled Yo counters by destroying his Island and dual lands that could produce Blue as well.

I was then able to draw an Eldrazi with Annihilator 3 and my Japanese Lightning Greaves. Yo was quickly running out of permanents. And despite several creatures coming in from the Exiled Zone I was able to win in the next couple of turns. Sick.

My Dinosaur went on a Rampage. Azusa and Strip mine is just cruel.

No comments:

Post a Comment