Thursday, February 28, 2019

"Midweek Magic 2019 #6:Harvesting from the Lands"


"Midweek Magic 2019 #6:Harvesting from the Lands"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

The week went and gone and I found myself Alone. Not a single game was played and so I did the next best thing. I brewed decks. Since my wife bought me an Azusa as a belated gift I felt that I had enough green cards to finally make the deck. It warms my heart that I went through a couple of boxes and voila I was able to make the deck in under an hour. 

I once played with an Azusa decked. A very fine tuned Azusa deck that spewed out Eldrazi titans on turn 3 or 4 and I felt really overwhelmed by it. (Thanks Dr. Pau for that game). For the deck I was making I just wanted to play a lot of extra lands and not really overwhelm anyone. Well unless they want to be.

One of the things interactions that I wanted to see happen in a battlefield situation was the drawing cards with your lands. I was able to do this with the Ultimate ability of Nissa or a horn of plenty. It was quite insane really. I did not expect to draw so much land in a Mono green deck so how did I do it?

Azusa + Crucible of Worlds+ Nissa's ultimate ability + 1 Evolving wilds.

I would play the evolving wilds from the graveyard , netting me 1 card draw , sac the Evolving wild plopping down a forest , allowing me to draw 1 more card. I could repeat this process 2 more times because of Azusa netting me a total of 6 cards! It went even wild with an Into the Wilds since I can draw 8 cards on a single Evolving Wilds or Terramorphic expanse. 

I am not quite sure if I can win with Azusa since I did not put any monsters yet but safe to say if I can pull this land drawing engine to good use I will be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment