Thursday, December 27, 2018

"Our Complicated Times"


"Our Complicated Times"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

I have probably seen the weirdness that people who claim to have intelligence exhibit even in my early college years when I was still in UP. There are strange people who are butt hurt about certain issues but present a double standard when their own principles are put into question.

I recently read an article about how Chivalry or people being gentlemen are dying. And the reason they can actually say this is because some guys chose to sit and not give them a seat. I guess there are guidelines even in that. When I used to ride the MRT there are clear pictures of the people whom you should give your seat to and even then it would really be up to you. You did after all pay for that seat(if you can get it). 

So it is usually the Old , Pregnant Women and people with disabilities. It does not say that a healthy person who can stand should be given a seat mainly because they are women.
And to shame people who do not give up their seats in this manner is just really cheap and just leaves a bad taste. 

People are just people. They get tired , they are preparing for something , they were in a fight or many other things that we may not actually see when they choose to sleep or listen to music on a train.So to just lump people in this category is in poor taste and shows a lot of immaturity in that person writing. You cannot bully people into giving up their seat and I think this is the only country where we passive aggressively shame people in public when they do not give us what we want. It makes me sad that there are still a lot of people with this way of approaching a problem.

Bottom line. If that person who has battled his or her way for that seat does not yield it to you for any other reason that just because they do not want to it is really not in our business to judge them. It has been awhile since I rode the MRT. I hope that when I decide to do so again I don't meet people like that writer who seems to have some really misplaced entitlement issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment