Friday, July 20, 2018

"Midweek Magic 2018 #27 :Copperhoof Vorrac Goring"

"Masyadong bigboy!"

"Midweek Magic 2018 #27 :Copperhoof Vorrac Goring"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

It is no secret that I make EDH decks so that I could play with the cards that I have accumulated through the years. I wanted to make a home for all of the cards that I have if I could. One card that I have had since the original Mirrodin expansion was the Copperhoof Vorrac which for the better part of a decade had been chilling in a dusty binder until I finally found it in my hopes of improving my Marath deck.

Sometimes I intend cards to be in one deck but they end up in another and the Vorrac ended up being a part of my emerging Xenagos deck. And it would make an impact as improvement on the deck immediately.

The 5 mana costing beast starts off as a 2/2 but quickly becomes monstrous as it counts all of your opponents untapped permanents and it gains +1/+1 for each of them. Lands , creatures , enchantments and planeswalkers. All of them count.

In one particular game I was able to play it and it ended up as an 11/11 and in turn pumped by Xenagos to be a 22/22! I enjoyed the look on my opponents faces as they hurriedly tapped permanents to make the Vorrac much smaller. 

This in turn creates a great opening or chance in the 2nd main phase. If you are playing a blue opponent it means that whatever you cast in the 2nd turn would not be countered. Unless they have a Thwart in hand. It would be the perfect time to cast a relentless assault as well to finish off the game when all control players mana are tapped. It did not happen this game though but a seed of that thought lingered in my mind for future games.

In the meantime the Vorrac had proven it's worth and I was finally happy that it found a home in this deck after languishing for over a decade in a binder.

No comments:

Post a Comment