Friday, June 29, 2018

"Overwhelming me with Slides (easy to do)"


"Overwhelming me with Slides (easy to do)"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

I often feel that in the our pursuit to explain all of the science we often forget to explain things in a practical manner and something that Doctors can relay to their own patients. 

Patients normally do not care about their doctors vast command of the science only that they are able to understand their doctor as they say all of these things to them. 

As a Doctor listening to these lectures I hoped that there would be more discussion of pearls rather than trying to impress me with the command of the science. I cannot deny that some of the things are important to know but for me you should be presenting things that are relatable and practical to all of the attendees.

To be fair there really is no consensus as to what practice the attendees actually do and it is more of a shotgun approach and not really specific to let us say the Occupational Medicine practitioners.

It just seems to me that a lot of the lecturers seem to be in love with their own voices and forget to engage their audience. Well of course you can't be intelligent and be interesting too. Such is often not the case and many normal people are weirded out by smart people either because they talk to things beyond the lay persons grasp or just really plain boring.

I just wish there were fewer slides since these kind of events can really drag on and I dont know if there is an unspoken competition among lecturers to posses the most slides per lecture. So much so that some slides feel like a kage-bunshin of the other previouos slides.

I do hope that when it is my time to take the stage and do lectures like this that I will remember what I wrote here. Less slides. More engaging topics. More audience engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment