Monday, April 23, 2018

"Dominaria Pre-release event at Spiral Valenzuela: When the famine is my card pool and not just Torgaar."


"Dominaria Pre-release event at Spiral Valenzuela: When the famine is my card pool and not just Torgaar."
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD 

It was another long week and the day seemed to be as long as the time that it took to reach the Dominaria Pre release Tournament @ Spiral Valenzuela. I looked at the clock and counted how long it was until 1 pm.

It was a hot summer and my car was even hotter since my Compressor broke down on me and it was hurting my pocket just to replace it. With that being said I was not going to let the heat and my lack of sleep ruin my Dominaria PR.

So when I arrived at exactly 1pm I got to cracking my PR kit. No Bombs or Planewalkers in sight as a I opened my last pack but I did get a black dice which was always a good addition to my ever increasing dice collection.

I initially wanted to do a Black/White sealed deck as I got an Evra and Torgaar as my PR rare cards but I opened a Slime foot and a bunch of saproling cards and enablers and so I fell to my old guild colors of the Golgari. I did not have enough card draw or removal but this was just playing into what I wanted which is to have a lot of saprolings die by blocking , attacking or sacrificing to another creature.


My first game was with Richard whose main interaction with me was to sell cards rather than as an opponent. We shook hands and we played a game where I was able to cast all the monsters in my mana curve from Baloths , Grunn the lonely king and even Verdant Force. This went my way at 2-0. 

I met Ankol and Joseph in my 2 games which were loses. I was tactically beaten by white cards by Ankol and I met more of the same against Joseph's deck which had a Azorius mix in it.

My last game was a fun one since we merely talked and traded.
I ended 2-2 and in the raffle I won a Buy a Box promo foil version of Firesong and Sunspeaker. I almost never win in a raffle but I won this one.

I did not get any planeswalkers. Or any thing that amounted to more than 3 bucks but I was happy as I was able to get cards at fair prices , interacted with fellow magic players , speculated on the cards that will spike in prices.And my brain still worked despite being on a 24 hour duty.

Oh and I ate pansit and toasted bread. I enjoyed that one too. 
I would like to thank Nino and the rest of the gang at Spiral Valenzuela for making it a safe and enjoyable atmosphere during these PR games. Till next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment