Friday, March 23, 2018

"3 Disturbing things Fallout Shelter players will eventually realize"


"3 Disturbing things Fallout Shelter players will eventually realize"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

Initially I tried this game in order to help my daughter because she was having such a frustrating time playing it. Fallout Shelter is set in a post nuclear apocalypse where you get to run a fallout shelter. The resource management game requires you to create rooms for power , food and water. You also need to assign your Dwellers to the rooms or roles that best suits them. There are those who can stay in the vault for these roles and there are some who can be sent into the wasteland outside to collect weapons and clothing and materials to create the former two in the later stages of the game.

I was able to overcome the games hurdles in a day of playing and then there are a few things that I found disturbing in the game.

1) Most Dwellers love having sex and lots of it. One of the vaults purposes is to breed humans to populate it. I get that but it seems that there is a lot of loving going on and I did warn my daughter to stop playing this game because there are things her that I would have to explain to her further.

2) Incest is Wincest. With the world going up in flames all around them and without enough viable partners available some dwellers actually need to breed with relatives and so you end up with a whole line of Dwellers named Smith or Collins. Not only is this encouraged to bring out the best traits carried by that line but it seems that this is the way to actually win the game.

3) Charmers. In the vault there are those who have a naturally very high Charm Special rating. Supposedly these are your ideal breeders. I had one guy impregnating 7 dwellers in quick succession. And females with high Charms rate seems to get pregnant much faster than those with lower rates. Both are happy with the roles. I don't like the idea that a woman can only be good for breeding. I guess both sexes do have needs. I did notice a lot of my female dwellers were happier even without the need for mating and that was good of the games programmers otherwise this would look like a sex orgy game rather than a survival game.

So parents do not let your child play this game because it seems like a harmless resource management game on the outside but it has very adult and dark themes hiding underneath the surface. The parents are free to play it though if Dark , Apocalyptic scenarios are your cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment