Monday, February 12, 2018

"The Glass Beyond"


"The Glass Beyond"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

The Seoul Skyline stretched on in the horizon through the clear glass but that view paled in comparison to the person who was sitting on the table for two who turned slowly at him and flashed him with a smile. V knew that he had to play his cards right or that smile could turn into something that he might not be able to deal with later. Why oh why did he have to meet her early in the morning instead of the afternoon when he was always good and ready.

"You are late." she said as greeting , she turned her head toward him and tilted it to let the long fine black hair fall to the table. "Now convince me that I should not punish you."

"Here we go", V said as he felt his hands twitch a little and some small beads of sweat gather at the small of his back. She always knew how to ask the best question and V was wondering if she should just come out with the truth and be done with it. I have been battling dragons all night and woke up late is what he should have said but instead he stood there like some sort of deer in front of a headlight.

"Well? Aren't you going to start with your lies so that we can properly have breakfast together?" The smile from the womans face was fading in degrees and soon it would be that cute frown that he also liked but all the same dreaded.

"I..." V started as he sat down in front of the woman and was promptly saved by the waiter who was asking for their orders.
They both smiled at the man who stood their remembering all they said and their preferences without writing anything down. 

"Will that be all?"

"Yes that would be all." V said thankful for the little time it allowed for him to think of an answer to YuuA and her question.

"So let me guess, you have a friend who owns this place?" YuuA pressed on forgetting what she initially asked.

"Well , I own it myself."

"Bee told me that it was difficult getting space in this building."

"It is really not hard when you own the whole building."

YuuA looked out the clear glass window that was from floor to ceiling. She looked at something near the Han River that V could not decipher at the moment with his dragons eyes. "It must be nice to own so many things."

"Not to a dragon."

"What do you mean?"

"Well , things are things and once you have accumulated them that is all that they are. Things."

"But money grows and when used wisely can grow to even more money. It can change lives."

"The money that I have already had. I don't mind that it does but there is more to a thousand years of existence than seeing one's finances grow."

"I think I know what you mean."

"No you don't. The one person I like is something that can never be mine."

"And who decided that?"

"Fate.Destiny.A higher power.Call it what you want but at every turn there seems to be another obstacle to my happiness."

"You are here aren't you. You are with me."YuuA moved her face closer to V who seemed to be unsure of what to do with the action."Enjoy me as I am now. I have seen my future with you as well. I know how it ends but we are both here now in this place."

YuuA stood and moved to the clear glass and looked at the bridge crossing the river Han. "I haven't thought of a punishment for you just yet for being late today. Do you want me to forego thinking of one?" Her tone was playful.

"I would appreciate that." Then V felt the sharp pain in his back. He was not getting any younger and the dragons that kept appearing to try and devour YuuA were getting stronger and stronger. A few more days and the Magistrates might figure out his weakness. A few more days and all that he is protecting will be gone. He will be damned if he would let any of them touch her. 

YuuA looked at him. "Stop being so serious ok? It is a great day today. I am not even mad at you anymore." She smiled at him. And oddly enough the day seemed so much brighter with that smile.







No comments:

Post a Comment