Friday, February 23, 2018

"Remembering Together"


"Remembering Together"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

The school looked like any other as far as he was concerned. He used to carry a lot of books to school when he was younger but then he realized that he did not need them. He did bring a pen however and maybe he could just borrow a paper from a seatmate in class. Oh wait this was College , no one needed paper. Maybe notes but then again he was getting bored by the minute as he walked. His thoughts turned elsewhere.

The massive fountain at the front of the building was a local gathering spot and you can see students in two's or three's sitting idly while chatting away. He was always wary of those 3's or 2's because he was not so sure of what they were talking about. He was more familiar with the lone person sitting in a corner or bopping their head to some tune that he can only imagine. One of those loners was a pretty girl who seemed unhurried. Must be waiting for someone he muttered to himself and he half forgot that she was there.

The same pretty face approached him a moment later and she asked , " Do you know where I can find Room 3-B?". Formal and polite , he noticed , probably born and raised in one of those catholic schools in that rich part of the city.

"I'm going there myself , if you don't mind tagging along with me." He said and gave off what he thought was his most winsome smile. The one his friends said won over the ladies but he believed his friends were lying because that same smile made the pretty girl a bit awkward somewhat.

"It's ok. I think I see one of my friends over there." She pretended to wave at someone. Or at least he thought she did.

He picked at his teeth to make sure that there was nothing there. The girl freaked out when he smiled at her. Never happened before. Does she know that girl?

Looking at her from behind wearing simple tight jeans and a white shirt that clung to her tightly. It was bringing out curves in that petite body. He slapped himself out of it and walked to where he thought Room 3-B was.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Thank goodness you came." The pretty face said to her friend.

"Wait. Isn't that..."

"Yes , I think it is him."

"Well if not for that weird diamond tattoo on his right arm I would not have recognized him. High school seems to be making people a lot buffer don't you think?"

"I don't know about that."

"You didn't notice  that"

"I mean I did but he smiled at me , looked right at me and didn't even remember who I was."

"He probably had too much fun in his high school to remember you YuuA. Look at him , he seems so sure of himself now. A far cry from that nerd you spent that summer with."

"Yeah. I guess he doesn't remember me at all then. I think we are going to be in the same class."

"You are? That should be interesting? Keep me updated then."

"Wait, Aren't you going to class too?"

"On the first day?are you kidding? Let me explore this place first. I heard that the fine arts boys are really into painting women nude."

"Don't tell me you'd volunteer?"

"Why not?"

"Suit yourself. I am going to class."

"More fine arts boys for me then."

YuuA gave a smirk at her friend and walked away. She was beginning to feel uncomfortable with the stares some of the men were giving her.

"She must be one of those korean exchange students"

"Anyeong!" 

"Saranghae" 

Some were shouting comically at her direction. One actually approached her to ask for her phone number and she had to pretend that she didnt speak a word of english or tagalog. 

"Di pala nakakaintindi ng tagalog pre. Wawa naman."

"Sexy pa naman."

"Baka type ka niyan , di lang niya masabi."

The group of guys who approached her laughed. This was becoming uncomfortable as they walked along side her. Still asking for her number though she feigned ignorance.

"Pre alam ko di type niyan."

It was him. She remembered that voice. It used to soothe her to sleep when she was upset at night.She remembered all of those nights they would sneak out after lights out and he would tell him stories and she would fall asleep.

"Eh sino ka naman?"

"Alam mo kayong mga freshman dapat alam niyo lugar niyo eh."

YuuA noticed that the guys were too muscular to be in the year level that they were in. They would insist and pester her. 

"She is not worth the trouble." He simply said. "Believe me. Not worth the trouble at all."

"At bakit naman kami maniniwala sa iyo? Sino ka ba?"

"Just someone who remembers.Pero kung ayaw niyong maniwala. Subukan niyong sunggabin yung bag niya. I did warn you though."

"Eh gago pala ito eh."

One of the muscular guys grabbed YuuA and with a reflex that surprised even herself she grabbed the mans arm , twisted it a little and sent him flipping on his back. The others were surprised and came to the guy who was lying on his back.

"Get her."

3 guys approached YuuA menacingly. V smiled.

"I remember. And you should be remembering too YuuA."

"You remembered me?"

"How can I forget you? Now show them what you remembered during camp."

YuuA was a blur  , striking three throats in what seemed like one swift motion of her arm. People uploading the video on youtube later noticed how many strikes were actually thrown in that one brief encounter. "Bullies given hard lesson by hot korean freshman" the video was titled. The video also showed a smiling man with a diamond tattoo in his right arm.

"I told you. She wasn't worth it.Tried to save you the trouble but you just didn't listen." V said to the choking men as he placed his hand on their throats and their bruised airways healed. The man who probably had a broken back was the last one he laid hands on.

YuuA looked on as he did all this. "V?"

"I always seem to clean up after you.I haven't seen you in 6 years and you still beat up people twice your size."

"I am not even sure how I did all that."

V offered his hand. "Come. Let's remember together."

YuuA found that all her fear dissipated and she took his hand.
"Where are we going?"

"To Room 3-B. I heard the professor doesn't like late comers. We better get a move on."

And as the two hurried away the 4 men laid there puzzled as to how a petite girl managed to treat them all like they were nothing.

In the shade of s tree nearby someone started speaking to a phone."The master has made contact with the princess.Do we proceed as planned"

"Proceed."

"I will report back soon." It was a woman all clad in blue who stepped out of the shadow and followed the pair to class.


No comments:

Post a Comment