Thursday, February 1, 2018

"Midweek Magic Jan 2018 #5: Getting Ahead with Urza"


"Midweek Magic Jan 2018 #5: Getting Ahead with Urza"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

In one of those unplanned games I was able to use Urza , Academy Headmaster for the first time against Janry. It was Monogreen Oviya Pashiri , Sage Lifecrafter EDH vs. 5CC Scion of the Ur-dragon. And it was epic. 

It seemed that my dragons were on the losing end of this game as Janry had a Constant Mists in his hand that he would be able to Buyback as long as he sacrificed a land effectively stopping any damage I could muster. I was able to draw a diabolic tutor and I did not have any way of making him discard that lone card in his hand. In desperation , I decided to choose Urza and play him as I had the available mana.

I went to Askurza.com and use his first planeswalker ability for the first time.And then this happened.

Exile a card from an opponents hand. Janry and I were laughing so hard. Of course he could have simply cast the spell and buy it back again but since it was an instant it would resolve and then get exiled anyway. So he cast it to take advantage of the fog effect for one last time.

Who could have predicted that I would be able to get that ability out of all the random ability that Urza has. It was starting off great for the year and I was happy to have been able to use this planeswalker at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment