Friday, January 12, 2018

"Midweek Magic Jan 2018 #3:1st Pack Wars of the year"


"Midweek Magic Jan 2018 #3:1st Pack Wars of the year"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

St and I initially wanted to play pack wars last week but as fate would have it we instead talked about our writing goals for the year and the never ending desire to be published.

As we met for the 2nd time in KFC in Eton Centris those talks were still in our heads but my friend also knew that I was still hurting and distracted by the things that I wanted to accomplish for my family.

So we ended up playing a few friendly games of Pack Wars. Our first for the year and we played it with the 2 packs of Kaladesh that he gave me as a gift. One pack had Inspiring Vantage and one pack had some awesome advantages. Sadly both were in the hands of ST.



My 2 best 3 pieces in my pack was: 
#1 Renegade Freighter , Cog workers Puzzle knot and Welding Sparks - This is a beast as a 5/4 Renegade Freighter could run through most creatures or a Welding spark could just deal 3 damage it to get it out of the way.

#2 Consul's Shield Guard , Rush of Vitality and Fumigate
I cast the Shield guard and wait for ST to committing creatures on the board. I then cast Fumigate and make the Shield Guard Indestructible with Rush of Vitality and then go in for the kill. Of course this was foiled by a well timed Fair Grounds Warden.


All the rest consisted of cards that I would not be able to use or even support in the pack wars setting. So in the games that ST would be able to best these 3 pieces I ended up losing. I think I only won one round. But it was exciting games where even the best combinations of cards were bested by a little tweaking and timing.

Pack wars is versatile and it still one of the best things you can do with a pack before disassembling it for it's various contents. Looking forward to the next one ST! 

No comments:

Post a Comment