Tuesday, January 2, 2018

"Midweek Magic 2018 #1: When Holiday Creativity Strikes"


"Midweek Magic 2018 #1: When Holiday Creativity Strikes"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

It was the first game of the year and it was something that I was looking forward to after everything that has happened in the past  few weeks. Magic and my friends have always been there for me in the dark times of my life and this time is no exception. I know of the weight of the responsibilities and problems that await me but for a brief moment I am not in this existence and living my life as a planeswalker. For a brief period of time at least. 

Jus was my first opponent of the season. We were talking about Neheb the worthy as the deck that he wanted to try but he was not able to finish it in time so instead I ended up facing a Jund Land Destruction deck that made me scratch my head in frustration more than a few times. 

Since I was going up against an unknown Jund Brew I also decided to use one of my underutilized EDH decks , The one lead by the Scarab God. I usually cannot pull off anything with the deck in a multiplayer setting as the Scarab God attracts so much hate and dies almost as fast as it arrives on the battlefield.



The overall concept of the deck was sound as it drew into mana ramps and then to the big spells that would wipe out lands and other permanents on the battlefield. Knowing Jus and their arsenal of old cards I half expected that I will eventually face an uncounterable Obliterate. And when I did I was thinking that I would just have to start from scratch again and he has just delayed his defeat. However he cast this card and my heart sank.


A freaking Heroic intervention! So while my entire side of the board was smoldering ashes he would have the chance to set up and destroy me. Nicely played. And I scoop my cards to not waste any playing time.

This game also featured the first time that I was able to win via Commander damage with an unopposed Scarab God and the first time that I would be able to use Jace , The Living Guildpact and his Ultimate ability which is pretty abusive as it robs opponents of their hands and graveyards in the long game. These achievements were still overshadowed by that Obliterate+Heroic intervention Combo which I will not speak of since I want the rest of the play group to encounter it first hand. Evil I know but hey they need to see the Jund Land D for themselves. It just goes to show that Jus should never really be left alone with those old cards of his and a lot of time on his hands. Hahahahah

No comments:

Post a Comment