Friday, December 1, 2017

"Midweek Magic November 2017 #46:Skullbriar , How to survive you?"


"Midweek Magic November 2017 #46: Skullbriar , How to survive you?"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

There is an aspect of Magic that I live for but seldomly get so that in the rare occurrence that it happens it gives me great satisfaction. And this is  the phenomenon I like to call as an "Ikot Puwet moment" or in English getting someones panty in a bunch although I don't think the last statement is appropriate as I normally assume that none of my male playgroup mates wear that article of clothing. As far as I know. 

So anyway in a recent game (11/24/2017) I decided to run another set of Commanders for our EDH games and in the middle I pulled off my last commander of the night. My all time favorite Skullbriar. I was going against Jus with his Ur-Dragon deck and Janry's Muzio artifact deck.

I can feel their frustrations mounting as Skullbriar attacked and grew larger and larger. With the help of a Corpsejack Menace and later a Necropolis Regent my favorite graveyard Elemental reached 23/23 in power and was sure to end someone in my next turn.


To make matters worse I have already attached a Whispersilk cloak on it. And this made my opponents even more desperate and so as always I became the archenemy yet again in an EDH game with just 3 players. 

The panic button was hit when Jus was able to destroy my Whispersilk cloak with a Rain of thorns and then a sweep from Janry with a Devastation Tide. Disaster and imminent loss was averted but I still had the pieces to win in hand but was eliminated by Dragons that were already set up.

I was groggy from taking medications and I must admit that when Skullbriar grew to those proportions I was awakened just a bit. And the looks on my opponents as they kept on trying to come up with a solution. Yup. Magic really has it's moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment