Thursday, November 9, 2017

"Silvergill Adept: Draw!"


"Silvergill Adept: Draw!"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

Having just finished an Azami , Lady of Scrolls Mono Blue EDH deck I was on the look out for more wizards that I could add to the deck and lo and behold I managed to scroll to this gorgeous looking card in my newsfeed. A Merfolk wizard.

Silvergill Adept only costs 2 mana but it has an added cost of either paying an additional 3 colorless mana or revealing a merfolk in your hand when you play him. This is reminiscent of the mechanics like prowl from the Lorwyn block.

This suggests that Silvergill Adept will be great in Merfolk decks so that the additional cost can easily be paid off. The price for that is to draw one card from your library and one thing that blue is great for is for drawing more cards when you play the color.

In the EDH setting Silvergill Adept can still be played later even when you don't have a merfolk available since the additional 3 colorless mana can easily be covered. In my Azami EDH deck Silvergill Adept will pull a double duty by drawing me a card once it enters the battlefield and when I tap it to draw a card with Azami's ability.

The 2/1 is not bad as well. He can skill a 2 powered creature or block a bigger creature without trample. His work is considered done since he can replace himself in your hand with the card draw. 

I really am looking forward to Rivals of Ixalan and seeing what other cards have this alternate cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment