Thursday, November 9, 2017

"Midweek Magic November 2017 #41 - SkullBriar Returns"

"Still hurting people and feelings all around the table"

"Midweek Magic November 2017 #41 - SkullBriar Returns"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

When I started my EDH restoration project I could not understand why I just feel really lazy when I got around to restoring my Skullbriar EDH deck , my first real commander and something that I have been writing about since I got into EDH.

It was easy to do , all the pieces were already in play and I just had to do some tweaking and just sleeve it voila. Back to the first real commander that I played with extensively.

I must admit that my first build of SB was merely to abuse the Nercomantic colors of the golgari. Big creatures in the graveyard which I can reanimate on the cheap. I didn't really focus all the much on giving counters on SB but that is something I changed this time around. Sort of. Am I still playing the nercomancer game here? yes. but I also added things like Hardened Scales and Dreg Mangler to make sure that SB is strong enough to finish opponents.

Jus and I ended playing a couple of rounds of 1v1 where he played Niv Mizzet. SB was bounced around a couple of times with a well timed Capsize and Whelming wave but even if he was returned to my hand with a Hardened Scales in play it was quite easy to make him grow again , more so when I was able to Scavenge a Dreg Mangler and he grew to an 8/8 creature.

I was extremely happy that the deck still works after all this time and I am looking forward to continue improving it this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment