Monday, October 16, 2017

"Midweek Magic September 2017 #38:Reconsidering my EDH life Choices"


"Midweek Magic September 2017 #38:Reconsidering my EDH life Choices"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr.MD

It was my first match against Anton in years. We last faced off in a Standard Pauper tournament a couple of years back and it ended in a rather frustrating loss where he emerged on top and I was relegated to 3rd place.

I was looking forward to playing UHG midweek magic and thankful that I would have another group of players to play with. One can only be so lucky.

Of course when we started playing Anton would again show me that I was scattering all my strong EDH pieces into several places where they were weak. Maelstrom Wanderer opened me to a world of hurt and a lot reflection on my EDH life choices. Mainly why I have so many great cards and they don't all come together into a kick ass deck like the one I was facing.

And like something that has beaten me before I enter my borg mode , assimilating all that I can and then analyzing those pieces of information to come up with a deck that can actually compete. Yup I did get a beating but it was not all in vain. Bloodied heroes do not die. Bloodied heroes recover and return to save the day...well at least on a later date. (and also if the wound was not as fatal like a sword slash to the gut , I don't see how you walk out of a fight with a dagger through your heart or brain though).

So sorry about my mind wandering off like that. It does tend to happen from time to time after a beating.Hahahahha


Some of the combos that appeared were rather painful like "The Kiki Jiki + Zealous Consripts combo" that produced unli Zealous conscripts! Both Creatures had haste and therefore were a bane to existence. A turn killer. On one game they were even found by an Entwined Tooth and Nail. Brutal! 

Food chain appearing twice and twice killing me as well when there was always enough mana to go around and delivering a deathblow. I particularly liked the part that the double cascade from Maelstrom Wandered always made sure that you had something to exile to the Food chain. 

My own Food chain exists in a Vorel of the Hull Clade Simic EDH where my only dream of using it is to cast Mistform and Primordial Hydras for the win. It feels a little underutilized somehow. Time for me to show it in the way that it was supposed to be used.

Like any EDH game where the players are engaged we were not even able to track the time and when someone approached Anton to inform him that he overbreaked we knew that the game was at an end. It was bad timing too as I felt that the Brutalized Bruna deck that I was using this whole time could at least have dealt some damage.

I guess we will just have to see the next time. Always looking forward to it. Thank you for making me rethink my EDH life choices Anton. I hope to repay the favor some day. Hehehehehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment