Tuesday, August 29, 2017

"3 things I have seen this week August #2 : Identity"


"3 things I have seen this week August #2 : Identity"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

We all seek it. We all ask who are we? why are we here? Do I serve any purpose? What defines me? I am my identity but in the grand scheme of things who really is that. This week I have seen things that makes me wonder about certain people and am thankful that I have friends and family.


1) ID Man - I saw a man in a SM counter complaining that he was being asked for ID. He was being obnoxious raising his voice and berating the counter lady who for all intents and purposes was just doing her job. "I do my groceries here twice a week!" "Para naman akong magnanakaw nito bakit kailangan pa ng ID?" 

Which made me pull out my Drivers License and PRC License.It made me wonder how hard it really was not to have these one hand? And if he was going to this particular SM twice a week then shouldn't he already know that they ask for ID when you use credit cards for purchases? Hmmmm

And even if he was in the store twice a week there are hundreds of people and dozens of counters. We really can't expect the counter people to remember everyone unless they were family or a really close friend. 

I looked at ID's again. It doesn't seem all that hard to pull them out.

2) The Cement Truck Crushing a Car - I saw A family of 5 in a car about to do groceries in the afternoon was crushed by a cement truck which climbed an Island and landed on them sideways killing the family patriarch instantly. 

The randomness and loss of this event shook me as it could really happen to anyone who was driving out there and it seemed that even in flowing traffic death can come for you at any time.

My wife gave me a long hug as if she did not want me to go anywhere and actually asked me where I was despite her busy schedule. I am husband and a father and even at my worst I found myself important to her and Aven.

3) Friends carrying Load - Jus and Yo. I saw them carry bags of magic cards for me as we ended our Thursday bout of EDH magic and I found myself grateful. I did not ask them for this but they did it any way and I was moved by the gesture. It would have taken me two trips to get everything down but thanks to them we all were happily chatting about decks we would be making in the future. And I am happy that I am friend to them and they are a friend to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment