Wednesday, March 22, 2017

"Midweek Magic 2017 #11 - Pain I welcome thee"


"Midweek Magic 2017 #11 - Pain I welcome thee"
by:
Virgilio F. De leon Jr. MD

My HP Eton Centris Pantry Magic experience has always been full of interesting and varied gameplay. One week we are playing EDH , The next Modern , Standard , Pauper and now Archenemy.

This week I was able to play 2 rounds of Archenemy, It was Ram at the helm again like last week and he ran an Esper artifact deck led by Sharuum the Hegemon and featured what seemed like "Eternal turns" as he sacrificed wave upon wave of Artifacts to a Time Sieve. Oh and my favorite Blightsteel Colossus was also in this deck and since this creature was my favorite Ram would make sure that I would be the first one to die from it's Rusty , Infectious Metallic embrace. A Blightsteel Colossus with an Equipped Lightning Greaves can do that to you pretty quickly. Oily and Sick as I would describe this embrace from this familiar creature.

"pa-hug nga paps!"

I have to say that when it comes to threat assessment I have been singled out pretty much lately.And I would then die and watch from the sidelines like an NBA team that got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.(Wow a nerd giving a sports analogy!).  It does not matter if it was Ram or Janry taking the helm of the Archenemy cards , it has to be the Sultai Doctor first and then try to eke out a win with the remaining players on the battlefield. 

And so I welcome pain. Normally my opponents will be so well committed to my destruction that they fail to win because they have spent their powerful spells, While it flatters me that I am considered a threat I still want to be able to play and not die pretty early. Hmmmm. It makes me ponder how I may just not welcome pain by playing a more diluted deck or simply play defense the whole time. Naaah. I know my friends and they expect me to be at my best when we play. What would be the point of defeating me if I was weak right?

No comments:

Post a Comment